Thursday, March 10, 2011

Music is my Sunshine

One thing I have passed on to my children so far is the love for music.
I have loved music since day one, thanks to my parents love for music.

I grew up listening to all types of music. I use to love listening to their record albums; they had a wide collection of some real classic stuff. Yes! I used the word album, those under age 21 most likely have no clue what they are… kind of like an A track to my generation.

I remember jamming out in my dad’s old truck to George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelics-

You’ve got a real type of thing going down,
gettin’ down there’s a whole lot of
rhythm going round
Ow, we want the funk
Give up the funk
Ow, we need the funk
We gotta have that funk

That was the jam back in 83’, yes I was 2 almost 3 but its one of my favorite memories with my daddy. My mom and I both shared a passion for “old fashion” music as my sister and I would call it. We loved oldies, my mom always sang along to the songs and would share stories about how old she was when the song was popular and memories the songs would remind her of. I cherish those stories from my mumsy.

My sister’s and I use to dance all the time, we would have dance off’s and teach each other new dance moves and criticize each other if the dance was “wack”. Good times!

Music is a huge part of my childhood and life; it cheers me up when I am down. Helps me remember fond memories and some sad memories.

You ever hear those certain tunes that make you cry, either because they remind you of sad times or maybe happy tears thinking of special times in life? I do on a weekly basis, since I spend a lot of time driving; I tend to listen to tons of music. I like to listen to lyrics and try to diagnose what the writer and artist mean in their poetry. I find lyric simply interesting and it’s helped me know the song to sing along.

Being a mother myself, I started sharing music with my babes when they were in the womb. I would put head phones around my tummy and turn up the disc man. Yes, I said disc man; they didn’t have Ipods and mp3’s in 2001 and I was too cheap to buy one in 2006. Ryder got down to Metallica and Fleetwood Mac and Mazie Lue was soothed by the sounds of Phil Collins classic jams. They would move and groove to the music in my belly. As infants they had no choice but to be around music, between their dad and I they were surrounded by the musical sounds.

*We were never quite around our babes as infants, we are load talkers and we like to listen to our load music, so by birth my kids were use to it and they would sleep soundly through it all. I loved that I could vacuum and be loud and never worry about waking the baby. You never heard us shushing anyone around our babes.*

Ryder takes after me and loves all types of music; Mazie on the other hand is like her daddy and only likes a one type tunes. My kids love to hear me sing along to the radio, they even join in with me if they know the song.

Recently I found a new radio station called GenX 104.9 here in the Seattle area. It plays all the hits from my generation 80’s and 90’s top forty to alternative. I was thinking the other day as I sang along to a tune from when I was in 7th grade; Hey these songs are like “old fashion” tunes to my kids. I also have been catching myself telling my kids “Oh this use to be my favorite song when I was your age Ryder”. Even when I am listening to Oldies tunes I find myself sharing the stories my mother told. I like that I have passed on these traits to my children, and I didn’t even mean to, music is just in our genes I guess.

Dancing is more of what Mazie and I share a common interest in. She is my little dancing machine and always has been. I love dancing around the house with her and enjoy watching her dance with my nieces, just like my sisters and I use to do.

Music is so important to have in my life and to share with my family. I already have my kids songs picked out to dance to at their weddings someday.

They are songs that I picked out and sang to them as babies. Ryder has two “I hope you Dance” By Lee Ann Womack and “Just to see you smile” By Tim McGraw. Mazie’s song is “The world” By Brad Pasley. Your asking yourself “Who knew this mixed girl would be down with country?”. I told you I love all music and country music lyrics usually make the most sense in life.

Here is one of my favorites we use to sing  to my Ryder “Bug” when he was a baby and was crying.

Sunshine go away today
I don't feel much like dancing
Some man's gone, he's tried to run my life
Don't know what he's asking


He tells me I'd better get in line
Can't hear what he's saying
When I grow up I'm going to make it mine
But these aren't dues I been paying


How much does it cost, I'll buy it
The time is all we've lost, I'll try it
But he can't even run his own life
I'll be damned if he'll run mine, Sunshine


Sunshine go away today
I don't feel much like dancing
Some man's gone he's tried to run my life
Don't know what he's asking


Working starts to make me wonder where
The fruits of what I do are going
He says in love and war all is fair
But he's got cards he ain't showing


Sunshine come on back another day
I promise you I'll be singing
This old world, she's gonna turn around
Brand new bells'll be ringing
By: Jonathan Edwards

We would sing this tune and Ryder would either giggle or look at us like we were insane. Now he loves it when I tell him this story and I always start to sing it to him. It still puts a smile on his face and Mazie’s too.

No comments:

Post a Comment